With 2 matches remaining, the picture is getting clearer:
Ozeki wins needed to avoid kadoban
Not an impressive performance by the Ozeki corps, to say the least!
- Mitakeumi: 2
- Shodai: will be kadoban in July
- Takakeisho: 2
Wins needed to stay in san’yaku
- Wakatakakage: will stay in san’yaku; needs one more win to stay Sekiwake
- Abi: will stay in san’yaku; needs one more win to stay Sekiwake
- Hoshoryu: 1
- Daieisho: will be at least Komusubi in July
Frontrunners for san’yaku promotion
At most one slot may open, unless someone’s record is deemed strong enough to force an extra one to be created.
Wins needed to stay in Makuuchi
- Ishiura: will be demoted
- Kotokuzan: will be demoted
- Kagayaki: will be demoted barring a miracle
- Azumaryu: 2
- Takarafuji: 1 (might be safe already)
Wins needed for promotion from Juryo
Three slots are open in Makuuchi, and one or two more could open.
- Tsurugisho: will be promoted
- Hidenoumi: will be promoted barring really bad luck
- Ryuden: 1 (might have done enough already)
- Chiyomaru: 1
- Several others: 2
Wins needed to stay in Juryo
Currently, there are 5 promotable records in Makushita, so there will in all likelihood be a logjam, unless the maximum possible 5 slots open.
- Shohozan: will be demoted
- Chiyoarashi: must win out; could be demoted anyway
- Daishomaru, Takakento, Kitanowaka: 2