We’ve reached Day 8 of the Fall Tournament and:
- Goeido has sole possession of first place.
- Takayasu may be starting an ozeki run with his defeat of Kakuryu.
- Okinoumi has beaten two yokozuna and three ozeki.
- Endo and Okinoumi are tied for second with Harumafuji.
- Ura is on a five-bout losing streak (3 hatakikomi).
I would not have believed any of these storylines coming into this tournament. It’s been a great one with some great clashes. Obviously, Goeido’s bout with Yoshikaze tomorrow is circled. Mitakeumi should be a good match against Okinoumi, who will want to stay with the leaders. Endo/Ikioi should be a good one with both looking strong, though Ikioi’s nagging injuries may hamper him a bit.