Last week’s series on winners of most bouts during a calendar years have raise debates upon readers – many thanks for that. Apart from the topic, many questions where about yokozuna or yokozuna wanna-be performances, which broadened our views and enriched the discussion. It was largely helped by the first part, which was dedicated to Hakuho – the GOAT’s aura really shines at every corner, doesn’t it ?
Anyway, thanks to our readers, a new topic is opened, about yokozuna performances. To entertain you, we will publish first a series of questions. Answer, as well as more detailed information will be brought after.
Unless said otherwise, our questions refer to the modern era only (starting from 1958). Enjoy our quiz !
1. Let’s start with a reasonable warm up: who is the only yokozuna who never won a single basho during his entire career ?
2. We have to look before the modern era to find the last ozeki to be promoted to yokozuna without having won a tournament. Who was it ?
Tip : unlike Futagahuro, he won yushos after his promotion.
3. Speaking about yushos, how many wrestlers have not won a single yusho during their yokozuna careers ?
Note : the yushos may have been won before 1958. We’re looking at the whole careers of yokozuna who have been active since 1958.
The correct answer of the first question is, of course, included !
4. How many yokozuna have been make-koshi despite competing all fifteen days ?
5. What happened to him / them ?
a. It caused huge scandal and he was / they were expelled from sumo
b. He was / they were allowed to continue, due to the fact that he / they won the previous basho
c. He / they retired from their duties
d. The Yokozuna Deliberation Council did not consider resignation
6. And how many yushos has he / have they won, combined, afterwards ?
7. Of the ten last yokozuna, how many have earned promotion without winning two yushos in a row as ozeki ?
8. How many dai yokozuna were active during the modern era ?
9. Sumo year 2017 saw a quartet of yokozuna, composed of Hakuho, Harumafuji, Kakuryu and Kisenosato. Which year saw the creation of the previous quartet ?
10. The four yokozuna were…
a. Chiyotaikai, Musashimaru, Hokutoumi, Asashifuji
b. Onokuni, Hokutoumi, Akebono, Kirishima
c. Chiyonofuji, Onokuni, Hokutoumi, Asashifuji
d. Chiyonofuji, Chiyotaikai, Takanohana, Onokuni
11. What can we say about the situation that happened after eleven bashos ?
a. Each tournament has been won by a yokozuna
b. Each tournament has been won by a non yokozuna
c. Each yokozuna won at least one yusho
d. There were no more yokozuna
e. There was a fifth yokozuna
12. By the way, what is the highest combination of yokozuna seen at the same time ? The question covers the period from 1909 to 2019
a. Four active yokozuna
b. Four active yokozuna and a fifth awaiting retirement ceremony
c. Five active yokozuna
d. Five active yokozuna and a sixth awaiting retirement ceremony
13. Back to the modern era, the three yokozuna to have won six yusho in a row are…
a. Chiyonofuji, Takanohana II, Asashoryu
b. Chiyonofuji, Taiho, Hakuho
c. Taiho, Asashoryu, Takanohana II
d. Taiho, Asashoryu, Hakuho
14. The feat of winning seven yusho in a row has been accumplished by…
b. Takanohana II
e. No one
15. And many foreigners have been promoted to yokozuna ?
Good luck, don’t hesitate to drop a comment with your answers!