The Japan Sumo Association has published the banzuke for the upcoming Aki basho, starting September 8th, in Tokyo.
Find it at : Banzuke – Aki Basho 2019
Some notable facts:
- 2 Sekiwake, 2 Komusubi, Hokutofuji hardest hit.
- Hokutofuji and Aoiyama share Maegashira 1. One of these two will probably bludgeon their way into San’yaku next time.
- Tomokaze makes it to Maegashira 3, we may get a Kakuryu rematch.
- Enho levitates to Maegashira 11 – Ishiura back in the top division at Maegashira 15 (Hakuho gets his all-deshi dohyo-iri crew)
- Juryo scratch-n-dent bin: Yoshikaze down to Juryo 7, Ikioi at Juryo 12, Yago at Juryo 4, Kaisei at Juryo 8. Maybe enough parts there for 1 awesome Ozeki if some surgeon can convince them.
- Arawashi falls out of the salaried ranks to Makushita 1 – the Makushita joi-jin looks like a mosh pit yet again
- Hoshoryu at Ms5, Naya at Ms10, Terunofuji at Ms27, Roga at Ms43
- Wakaichiro at Sandanme 67, adding to the Musashigawa Sandanme log-jam. Amakaze up to Sandanme 27 and ready to eat anything on camera.
- Hattorizakura anchors the banzuke at Jonokuchi 34e
I am sure lksumo will have his reaction (vs his always thoughtful predictions) later today. The Aki basho is just two weeks away!