Attention all sumo fans! The Japan Sumo Association has published the banzuke for the January basho. Due to the holidays around New Years in Japan, the Hatsu banzuke tends to show up early, and for sumo fans in the western world, it makes a great Christmas gift. Some notes:
- Believe it or not, Kisenosato got Yokozuna 1E for showing up and winning zero matches.
- Sekiwake ranks are Takakeisho on the east, and Tamawashi on the west.
- Ichinojo dropped completely out of San’yaku down to Maegashira 1W
- Nishikigi is at Maegashira 2E, good luck sir, you continue to surprise.
- Kotoshogiku returns to the joi-jin at Maegashira 4
- Takanoiwa holds Maegashira 9E in spite of leaving the sport after roughing up a tsukibeto.
- No new shikona for Yago for his Makuuchi debut, though many anticipated he would get his “kaze” name.
- Ura launches to Makushita 23 following his Sandanme yusho in November.
- Terunofuji down to Sandanme 88, rumors are that he is training and may enter the tournament.
- Wakaichiro down to Jonidan 36
We may put together a news update later today or early tomorrow to discuss the banzuke and the upcoming January tournament.